Tapping your body can create a balance in your body’s energy system. Also known as the Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT), this technique is a self-administered healing technique that reduces negative symptoms from physical-emotional issues. It’s based on modern psychology and the principles of acupuncture’s meridian, but without the use of needles.
Tapping can be beneficial for your heart-brain coherence (read more about this in our blog). It can help generate positive emotions which increases your brain’s ability to function. Here’s a great video from Tapping with Brad Yates on listening with your heart and being more heart-centered.
Tapping is a simple 5 step process:
- Begin by tapping underneath your pinky with the fingertips on the other hand. Identity what the issue is and what your focus will be.
- Then rate the intensity of the issue on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst
- Create a comforting phrase that acknowledges the issue and accepts yourself regardless
- Tap the following points on your body 8 times as you repeat your comforting phrase. Complete all 8 points 3 times through:
- Side of the eye
- Under the eye
- Under the nose
- Top of collarbone
- Finish at the top of your head
- Finally, take a deep breath. Rate the intensity of the issue. Repeat all 8 steps as necessary.
Here’s a great article from Heathline that explains the steps in more detail.